Basic Butter Cake
200gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200gm self raising flour, sifted with ½ tsp salt
4 tbsp fresh milk
• Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 170C
• Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
• Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy.
• Add vanilla essence.
• Fold in sifted flour gradually to mix.
• Finally stir in milk. Mix until well combined.
• Turn out mixture into prepared tin.
• Level out mixture at the sides but allow a shallow well in the center. This is to enable the cake to level up evenly during baking.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.